Rent Supplement Financial Support
Rent Supplement Program
BVRH administers this program in our Region on behalf of the province.
- This is a Provincial program that provides eligible households with a supplement of up to $600 per month. This money is meant to offset the difference between a household’s rent and an amount equal to 30% of their gross income. For example a household that earns $1,500 per month but pays $800 per month in rent may receive $350 as a monthly supplement. ($800 – 30% of $1500 = $350).
- Residents of social housing accommodation are not eligible for this program.
- Eligibility is determined according to the Social Housing Accommodation Regulation of the Alberta Housing Act. This process includes the assignment of a point score, which measures the priority of need in order to determine the allocation of housing. In order to be eligible the household must currently score 32 points or more.
- Applicants are awarded points based on:
- Number of dependants;
- Percentage of income going to rent and utility cost;
- Eviction due to reasons other than a breach of the tenancy agreement;
- Certain emergency situations including family violence;
- Accessibility challenges or overcrowding of current accommodation;
- Accommodation causing or aggravating serious health problems or that is unsafe;
- Accommodation shared between families.