Seniors Self-Contained Housing Program

BVRH operates 62 apartment-type units in Banff/Canmore. 

From the Alberta Seniors website:

This program provides apartment type accommodation to low and moderate-income seniors who are functionally independent with or without the assistance of existing community based services. The tenant’s rent, which includes heat, water and sewer expenses, is based on 30 percent of a household’s adjusted income. Tenant's are responsible for electricity, telephone and cable television, as well as any additional services they may request i.e. parking.

The province owns most of the apartments in Alberta under this program. Operating deficits are fully funded by the province through an annual budget process. Management and tenant selection are delegated to the local housing operators.

Senior citizens whose income falls below local limits (Core Need Income Threshold or CNIT) and who are functionally independent, with or without the help of existing community based services are eligible. Applicants are prioritized on the basis of need.

Applicants to BVRH Seniors’ Self-contained Housing: 

  • Receive priority if they are low-income seniors.
  • Must be 65 years of age or older. However, in the event of sustained vacancies we will consider application from functionally independent adults younger than 65 years. 
  • Must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, or refugees sponsored by the Government of Canada.
  • Must have a total household income below the relevant CNIT.
  • Must be eligible under the BVRH residency requirements.
  • Must prove “Eligible Residency” through Parks Canada if applying to reside at Mount Edith House in Banff.

BVRH Seniors’ Self-contained Housing applications:

  • Are assessed according to the Social Housing Regulation of the Alberta Housing Act. This process includes the assignment of a point score, which measures the priority of need in order to determine the allocation of housing.
  • Are awarded points based on: 
    • Percentage of income going to rent and utility costs;
    • Eviction due to reasons other than a breach of the tenancy agreement; 
    • Certain emergency situations including family violence; 
    • Accessibility challenges; and overcrowding in current accommodation;
    • Accommodation causing or aggravating serious health problems or that is unsafe; 
    • Accommodation shared between families.

How Can I Get an Application to Bow River Homes in Canmore or Mount Edith House in Banff?

Once you have fully completed the application please return it to our offices at:
920 Fairholme Drive, Canmore, AB T1W 1W1.